LED replacement tubes are ideal lighting for commercial, industrial and public areas, such as offices, schools, retail stores, car parks, libraries, subways and factories. T5-size lights are often used in cabinets or other interior design applications
warning – the mercury in fluorescent tubes is hazardous
The mercury from a single fluorescent tube is enough to pollute 30,000 litres of water beyond the safe drinking level in the UK. Fluorescent Tubes contain in general 94% glass, 4% ferrous and non-ferrous metals, and 2% phosphor powder. Within this phosphor powder the most hazardous mercury is contained.
We will dispose and recycle your CFL tubes free of charge when you buy our LED replacements…
The Environment Agency has therefore determined that CFL’s fluorescent tubes are now classified as Hazardous Waste in England and Wales and as Special Waste by the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA). Therefore they should preferably be recycled or if absolutely necessary, taken to specific landfill sites that can cater for mercury bearing wastes. The actual number of sites in the UK that can cater for such waste is very limited and, given high transportation and disposal costs, this makes recycling of Fluorescent Tubes and Lamps the most economical and environmentally friendly option.
The process involves separating the individual components of fluorescent tubes and other discharge lamps and recovering them for recycling or re-use in a variety of industries.
It is possible to distil and recover the mercury from the phosphor powder, purify the mercury into various grades to be reused in various industries. Recovered mercury is supplied to lamp manufacturers in the UK where it is used in the production of new lamps. Apart from the environmental aspect to recycling fluorescent tubes and lamps, it is also very important to the health and safety of employees. A person attempting to dispose of a fluorescent tube in a skip would not only be condemning the whole skip as Hazardous Waste with costly consequences of its safe disposal, but would also be exposed to the potential danger of the inhalation of small amounts of toxic materials released as dust and vapour.